Posted:◀ prev ▲ next ▶
Bookstore with a view: Mendenhall Visitor Center Sales Associate (juneau, ak)
compensation: Depending Upon Experience
The Alaska Geographic Association is seeking individuals to work in our bookstore at the Mendenhall Visitor Center. We are open through the end of September, and are seeking Sales Associates who can work through the end of the season. Work is part-time or full-time, depending upon availability. The Alaska Geographic Association is a not-for-profit organization, working in cooperation with federal and state land management agencies to provide books, educational materials and interpretive services to visitors of public lands. Funds generated from these activities are used to support education and research programs and projects throughout the state of Alaska.
Please send resume, letter of interest and references to show contact info Include Sales Associate in the subject line. You will also be asked to fill out an official Alaska Geographic application as part of the hiring process.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Sales Associate is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the store. This includes greeting visitors, assisting visitors in finding merchandise, providing exemplary customer service, maintaining a visitor-friendly attitude, operating and making sales on the computer POS system, practicing responsible cash handling techniques, reconciling cash drawers daily, helping stock shelves and prepare merchandise for sale and assisting supervisors and managers when needed.
• Provides accurate and friendly information to visitors
• Provides exemplary customer service to visitors
• Maintains a positive, friendly, helpful attitude for a positive work environment
• Become familiar with merchandise to assist customers in finding merchandise to meet their needs
• Becomes familiar with surrounding events in order to answer visitor questions correctly
• Operates and follows proper procedures for computer POS system
• Makes sales using cash, credit cards, checks, and traveler's checks
• Reconciles cash drawer daily
• Becomes familiar with Membership program -- how to sign up new members and ring up member sales
• Becomes familiar with how to ring up discounts and refunds
• Stocks shelves and prepares merchandise for sale
• Maintains site merchandising (cleaning, straightening shelves)
• Responsible for cleaning store and trash removal
Experience, Licenses, Abilities or Knowledge:
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
• Ability to interact with the public in a friendly, helpful manner
• Develops and maintains good communication and relationships with everyone with whom you have contact
Working Conditions and Safety Hazards:
• The work environment is varied with most time spent indoors in heated, well-lighted settings (retail store or warehouse) and some time spent out of doors loading, unloading and transporting inventory, sometimes in inclement weather
• Occasional need to be able to lift and transport boxes of books/maps, some weighing in excess of 50 pounds. Bending and lifting are required for those tasks.
• Able to stand for 8 hours standing
This job description does not list all duties of the job. You may be asked by your Manager to perform other instructions or duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description. Management has the right to revise this job description at any time.
AK Geo is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers